Re: Urgent Oracle parsing question

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 10:53:19 +0100

As you didn't specify which frontend and which version of Oracle, my advice can only be generic.
First of all (and I don't know in which version it was introduced) there is an init.ora parameter session_cached_cursors. The default value is 0, change it to non-zero and Oracle will keep that number of (closed) cursors in it's cache and reuse them if necessary. Please note this has been introduced mainly because there are packages in which you can't influence this, in Pro*C for example you can arrange this yourself. Secondly, as I already mentioned in Pro*C you should use the compiler switches HOLD_CURSOR=YES and RELEASE_CURSOR=NO.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA.