Re: Newbie: Need command to change owner of table

From: <mjain_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 09:22:29 GMT

It seems you have very little experience so take help before venturing jumping onto production as I think you should not take up this assignment at this stage. If you are learning and trying this in some development environment then it should be okay.

There are several method to do this, one of them is expalined here:-

  1. Logon as as old user (jims)
  2. Issue following SQL to Grant Select on the table "terms" to "Jeff".

Grant select on terms to Jeff;

3. Disconnect/Log off as user jims.

4. Logon as new user (Jeff)

5. Create table terms using existing jims.terms under Jeff user. You can simply use following statement:-

Create table terms as select * from jims.terms;

This will create terms table under owner Jeff exactly similar to one owned by jims.

6. You can now log back as jims and drop jims table called terms. Make sure this is what you want to do, because the objects that as dependent on the terms table like triggers, indexes, comments will get dropped.

Since you are a newbie take expert help from someone before you venture into breaking things, if this is production environment then please don't do it, this advice is for you to try only in development and to educate you a little bit.

hope this helps,

Manoj Jain
Oracle Certfied Professional - OCP DBA
Chauncey Certified DBA

Note: You are responsible for all that you do, it is an advice to educate you.