Re: HLP: Terminating user session after client dies

From: Andrew Protasov <oracle_at_protasov.kiev.ua>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 98 20:11:11 +0200

Hi,

> I noticed that Oracle can clean user session from v$session view
> (I think, it frees the recources as well?) when client program(plus33w.exe)
> is killed by Task Manager under NT OS.
> Can anyone give me any reference where or just mail me considering
> questions below:
> 1) under what cicurmstances oracle cleans user sessions after client program
> unexpectedly dies?

Set this parameter in server sqlnet.ora. Server will detect dead connections each 10 minutes. Do not forget to restart listener.

sqlnet.expire_time=10

> 2) What happens with the last transactions of that user session(which oracle
> cleans): is it rollbacked, commited or what?

Non-committed transactions will be rollbacked.

> 3) As I understand Oracle does not clean user session if it is "active"
> (for example, if I execute batch procedure from plus33w.exe and then
> reboot my computer for some reason. I am correct?

Yes, it will wait current call to complete. Then after some period less then expire time sql net will send probe packet, it will not obtain respond and the session will be cleaned.

> 4) What happens with client and user session if network failes?

If network fails and recovers between two calls of Oracle server and there was no probe packet sent in this period - no problems, all will work as earlier. Otherwise you will recieve something like ora-3113 or ora-3114 error.

Andrew Protasov Received on Mon Nov 09 1998 - 12:11:11 CST