Re: Oracle 8.0.5 on Linux and Remote database

From: Joel R. Kallman <jkallman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 1998 00:57:45 GMT

On Sat, 07 Nov 1998 14:37:51 -0800, Michael Madore <mmadore_at_blarg.net> wrote:

>I don't know if this is a Linux specific question, but I am having
>trouble connecting to a remote database from Linux using SQLPlus.

This is not a Linux-specific question.

>If I execute tnsping SGHDTA, I get a response from the remote listener.
>
>If I execute this, however:
>
>sqlplus system/manager_at_SGHDTA
>
>I get:
>
>ERROR:
>ORA-12545: Connect failed because target host or object does not exist

The problem is that the SID you have specified in your TNSNAMES.ORA file for the remote database (ORCL) does not match the SID of the remote database.

I would telnet or verify what the SID of SGHDTA is on your server.

Hope this helps.

>If I set TWO_TASK = SGHDTA, then I get this instead:
>
>ERROR:
>ORA-12571: TNS:packet writer failure
>
>I have only installed the client portion of the Oracle software on this
>machine. I am trying to talk to a UnixWare box running Oracle 7.3.2.
>
>Mike Madore
>Systems Manager
>Sun Gro Horticulture, Inc.

Thanks!

Joel

Joel R. Kallman Oracle Government, Education, & Health

Columbus, OH                             http://govt.us.oracle.com

jkallman@us.oracle.com                   http://www.oracle.com

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Sat Nov 07 1998 - 18:57:45 CST