CHAR field type - always spaces?

From: Peter Shaw <peter.shaw_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 8 Nov 1998 01:05:16 GMT

In my experience, when quering on a CHAR field type, this search is much faster:

FIELD_NAME = 'sample '

(pad the criteria with spaces to equal the field length) than this search:

TrimRight(FIELD_NAME) ='sample'

But someone told me recently that you cannot always assume that CHAR field types will be padded with spaces. I have never found a case that this is not true.. Is this right? Feedback? Received on Sat Nov 07 1998 - 19:05:16 CST