Re: ANSI SQL COMPATIBILITY

From: Neil Pike <100577.553_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 1998/11/06

Raju,

> Our system needs to be database vendor independent. We will be mainly
> talking to MS SQL Server, Oracle, Sybase and maybe IBM-DB/2. My questions
> are:
>
> 1) Are all these vendors following one standard for SQL coding, ie. ANSI SQL.
> I think MS and Sybase have their version of SQL called Transact-SQL.

 They all adhere (more or less) to ANSI-92 but have their own extensions, functions and languages. (e.g. TSQL)

> 2) What are the common pitfalls of ANSI SQL coding? I am sure it works well
> with native commands but might not work for little complicated stuff like
> datepart, etc... Our queries (as of now) are very simple and will probably
> work for all kinds of vendors. However, I do not want to rule out the idea
> of having some tricky joins as well as using in-built functions.

 You'll either have to use the lowest common denominator query, or try coding everything via ODBC and hope that  each vendor's odbc driver is intelligent enough to use their own extensions.

> 3) Is there a FAQ on this or some research that somebody has already done on
> it?

 Not that I know of, but you could try www.ansi.org

  Neil Pike MVP/MCSE
 Protech Computing Ltd
 (Please post ALL replies to the newsgroup only unless indicated otherwise) Received on Fri Nov 06 1998 - 00:00:00 CST