ANSI SQL COMPATIBILITY

From: <matta_at_metratech.com>
Date: 1998/11/05

Hello All

Our system needs to be database vendor independent. We will be mainly talking to MS SQL Server, Oracle, Sybase and maybe IBM-DB/2. My questions are:

  1. Are all these vendors following one standard for SQL coding, ie. ANSI SQL. I think MS and Sybase have their version of SQL called Transact-SQL.
  2. What are the common pitfalls of ANSI SQL coding? I am sure it works well with native commands but might not work for little complicated stuff like datepart, etc... Our queries (as of now) are very simple and will probably work for all kinds of vendors. However, I do not want to rule out the idea of having some tricky joins as well as using in-built functions.
  3. Is there a FAQ on this or some research that somebody has already done on it?

Please either respond to this post or mail me at matta_at_metratech.com, whichever is convenient.

Thanks

Raju Matta