Re: Oracle Instances performance?

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 07:27:27 +0200

drpaner_at_intrex.net wrote in message <71shau$e2l$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

>Is there a performance increase for using multiple Oracle database
instances
>to house multiple schemas versus one Oracle instance for all schemas?

Depends on what the requirements are.

>I have about 7 schemas running in one Oracle instance and find that
everyone
>gets clobbered when one individual ties up the engine running major
>queries/updates against one schema.

If you're not adding extra horsepower and memory, you're likely to get even worse performance. Instead of having a single instance's overheads and memory requirements, you will now have multiple instances wanting memory and CPU power. Remember that the instance is only as fast as the hardware. If that user now clobbers another instance on the same box, he will be taking horsepower away from any other instances and they will suffer.

>I'm wondering if there is a noteable performance increase if I were to take
>the largest schemas and run them in their own Oracle instances rather than
>one instance.

Off the cuff, I doubt it. However, it depends on the situation. You may put this large schema into a smaller instance, scale down the SGA, number of processes, etc for that instance to try and give the user of that large schema less of the machine's resources and make the other instance bigger and better ito resources.

But will that really solve the problem? Any of these methods are only addressing the symptom of the problem and not the problem itself. Is that user doing the correct thing? Or is it due to ignorance that can be addressed by training? Can front-end tools be purschased or develop to meet that user's requirements (having users use SQL directly is a no-no in most cases IMO). Is the back-end database design correct for the business requirements of the user? Etc. Etc.

IMHO we too often try and find technical solutions to human related problems. Like implementing internet filters in the business environment to address the "morality issues" of the business and the employees. And from your brief comments above, it seems to me to be the same type of issue. My thoughts anyway. :-)

regards,
Billy Received on Thu Nov 05 1998 - 23:27:27 CST