Re: Oracle Server H/W Configuration

From: Connor McDonald <mcdonald.connor.cs_at_bhp.com.au>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 18:47:37 +0800

Billy Verreynne wrote:

> o_h_m_s_s wrote in message <717tdk$42h$1_at_demon.uunet.ca>...
> >What would be a typical hardware configuration for a 4Gb Oracle database
> >application supporting 5-10 people.
>
> Well, that is very difficult. But I will give it a try.
>
> You will need a CPU and motherboard. A power supply. Some memory chips. And
> a video and network card. Oh yes, and you will need a nice case to put it
> all into. And don't forget the keyboard and mouse. CD-ROM and stiffy drive
> will also be needed to install stuff. And of course a computer monitor and a
> couple of harddisks.
>
> Did I miss anything?
>
> regards,
> Billy

Cyncism aside, Billy does have a point...You need to determine that load that the machine will wear - what are the users doing ? how often ? etc etc...

If its any consolation, our very first Oracle db was about 6G with 20 users, and ran very happily on an old Sun Sparc 20 with no dramas (128M RAM, 12x1G disks, 3 controllers)...Ahhh the good ol' days

Cheers
Connor
--

Connor McDonald