Connect to PO8 using JDBC thin on same system

From: Jeff <misnomer_at_earthling.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 1998 18:14:34 +0800

Win95 on a laptop with Personal Oracle 8.

I have a large Java application that uses the Oracle JDBC thin driver to connect to an Oracle database. I am now trying to use Personal Oracle 8 on the laptop to be able to run the app at various locations and get user feedback.

The JDBC thin connect string MUST end in hostname:port:sid even if the database is local.

The problem I have is specifying a hostname. My laptop name is ABC but that name won't resolve using TCP/IP unless I have dialed-up and am on the Internet. Why? Well, because the dial -up adapter is the only network adapter installed (naturally - it is a laptop) and hence TCP is bound to that adapter. It is setup to use an ISP-assigned IP address and ISP-assigned DNS.

So, ping ABC returns bad IP address unless I'm on the Internet.

I have tried using 127.0.0.1:1521:ORCL in the JDBC string but this does not work. If I try and use Net8 or EasyNet they crash if I specify 127.0.0.1 as the host name. For example, I tried to change the supplied TcpExample.world service to use 127.0.0.1 as the host name and ORCL as the SID, but if I try and Test it, the config app crashes. I use ABC as the hostname, I get a nice message saying host or target not found.

So, under Win95 on a non-LAN connected PC (i.e. with no permanently assigned IP address) and the rule that the JDBC string MUST end in hostname:port:sid, how can you get a Java app using the Oracle Thin driver to connect to a Personal Oracle database on the same system?

I'm sure one of the many Oracle networking options can do this, but I am just overwhelmed by all the options (host names, oracle names, tns names, etc.).

Someone out there must have done this before? (I hope :) )

Jeff Received on Sat Oct 24 1998 - 05:14:34 CDT