Re: some simple questions about tablespace

From: Waterman Family <waterman_at_iwaynet.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 15:51:09 -0400

Brian,
You're asking some good questions for a new DBA!

From my experience, importing tables to a different tablespace requires the following steps:

  1. change the importing user to have no quota on the old tablespaces, but set its default quota to DATA_1.
  2. import the .dmp file and Oracle will recognize that it can't use the old tablespace and put the tables in the user's default tablespace. For indexes, I would just drop them and recreate them in the desired tablespace.

For rollback segments, I understand that without specifying a rollback statement, Oracle will choose one based on current system usage. It may pick the small one when you need the large one. To avoid this, use "set transaction use rollback segment xx;" before your large transactions. This is reset after every commit, so you must reissue it before every long running transaction. (see database admin guide chap 18)

For temp tablespace, I don't know of a way to specify a particular one. In my databases I only have one temporary tablespace and assign large data files to it. Maybe someone else knows something here.

I wish you the best,

    --Gary Waterman