Re: Count(*) is very slow

From: Andreas Kyritz <AKyritz_at_easy-soft-dresden.de>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 16:32:32 +0200

Hi George,

George Meltser schrieb in Nachricht <70ff74$qol$1_at_as4100c.javanet.com>...
>I have a table with 3,5 mln rows and after it's analyzed it takes 3 seconds

on which server-system do you get this result ?

>to do
>a count(*), so please stop blaming dbms.

Sorry, but it really takes 36 seconds (3 seconds CPU-time on the server !!) after analyzing the table. There is, except of the operating system, no other proccess on the server. On the same machine the results with MS SQL Server, Centura, Informix and DB/2 - dbms where never so bad.

The database I've used, was created with default values. Do you know, which parameter can tune this query ? Is it better, to work with a clustered primary key ?

--
Andreas Kyritz
AKyritz_at_easy-soft-dresden.de Received on Mon Oct 19 1998 - 09:32:32 CDT