Re: Count(*) is very slow

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_ictgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 18:36:03 GMT

Hi Andreas,

    The Oracle default database and database parameters will not give you decent performance. The defaults appear to have been selected on the basis of allowing you to use Oracle on a system without very much RAM. (Given the price of RAM these days Oracle should probably revise their default strategy.)

    The first thing to do is to go into the init<sid>.ora file (If I remember correctly it's in the ORANT\DBS directory) and change all of the small/medium/large choices to the large values. Next if you have the space double the data base buffer space.

  regards

Jerry