Re: Count(*) is very slow

From: <satar_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: 1998/10/20

Try increasing the db_file_multiblock_read_count, and it could be that you are paging and swaping.

Good Luck,
Satar

Also remember, the only reason Oracle runs the way it does (whether good or bad) is because of the DBA. A well tuned SQL Server, Informix, ect will run faster than Oracle if Oracle is not tuned right in comparrison. A YUGO will out perform a Porche, if the Porche has Engine problems.

In article <70fiqs$pce$1_at_news.ipf.net>,
  "Andreas Kyritz" <AKyritz_at_easy-soft-dresden.de> wrote:
> Hi George,
>
> George Meltser schrieb in Nachricht <70ff74$qol$1_at_as4100c.javanet.com>...
> >I have a table with 3,5 mln rows and after it's analyzed it takes 3 seconds
>
> on which server-system do you get this result ?
>
> >to do
> >a count(*), so please stop blaming dbms.
>
> Sorry, but it really takes 36 seconds (3 seconds CPU-time on the server !!)
> after analyzing the table. There is, except of the operating system, no
> other proccess on the server. On the same machine the results with MS SQL
> Server, Centura, Informix and DB/2 - dbms where never so bad.
>
> The database I've used, was created with default values. Do you know, which
> parameter can tune this query ? Is it better, to work with a clustered
> primary key ?
>
> --
> Andreas Kyritz
> AKyritz_at_easy-soft-dresden.de