Re: Oracle: "Microsoft is quaking in its boots over Linux"

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 15:45:40 +0200

ASTROSPMIS wrote in message
<19981016081730.06393.00001899_at_ng-fi1.aol.com>...

>Just What I expected from the Oracle Heads!

Sorry. Missed your mark. I was not defending Oracle at all in my post - I was commenting on Linux vs Windows. Your post was about how great Windows are and how bad Linux is (in case you forgot).

>Still Living in the past.

Maybe, but then at least I'm not living in a Microsoft induced fantasy world.

>And sorry but this AOL is free!!!

Nothing wrong with free stuff.

>(and what about Redhat ???? are they
>going to give that away for free???)

Last time I bought my latest set of Linux CDs it was about US $10 for Slakware, Debian, Red Hat with everything from C compilers to Doom included (set of 6 CDs). IMO, yeah - it sure as hell is free.

>Anything from Oracle I've installed, configured or tuned (With Oracle's
>Support) has been a complete failure!

Which says a lot about the -installer- IMO. I have installed and created Oracle databases on various platforms. Without Oracle support. Without any previous Oracle training or courses. With the manual of course. But then these Microsoft "experts" think they are experts on Unix and everything else simply because they can install Win'95. Oh well...<sigh>

Bottomline is that Oracle is a stable, robust and mature product. And only an egghead will try and argue that one.

As for Linux. Fact is that it's fast becoming a viable alternative to Windows-NT. And the stable and robust labels also hang quite nicely on Linux. Not saying for a momement that NT is not stable, but NT still has to learn what in the Unix (and Linux) world is a "been there, done that". Talk to the guys on the firewall e-mail list about NT and it's shortcomings ito of security and proper IP protocol stack for one.

Microsoft? Only two products of theirs I consider worth a buy. Sidewinder joystick and a game called Close Combat (carrying the MS logo) that's written by Atomic Games.

As for you. I find it very hard to take the postings from a person serious when he/she/it is posting in a tecnical conference under a pseudonymn. All fine and dandy if you're posting in alt.sex.fetish.hamsters.and.ducttape with a nick, but if you expect to be treated seriously then use your real name Mr Dick Head.

regards,
Billy Received on Fri Oct 16 1998 - 08:45:40 CDT