Re: Context Search, How much does it cost?

From: Garrett Kaminaga <gkaminag__at__us.oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 17:19:12 -0700

bonanos_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> Does anyone know how a context query works and how it differs in terms of
> cost to a normal SQL statement and if there is any way to analyse a
> 'contains' query.

A context query is essentially inserts into a temporary result table, then a join between the result table and the base table. This means that a context query has I/O and will generally be slower than a query on, say, a b-tree index, for instance.

Analyzing a contains query can have two meanings -- you may wish to analyze the performance of the query or the expansion of the text query part.

For the former, you can use sqltrace to see the join query, but we are not currently integrated with explain plan. For the latter, you can use the explain function in ctx_query.

In the upcoming 8i (just announced), we don't use temporary result tables, and we are fully integrated with explain plan.

--

Garrett Kaminaga                          Oracle ConText Server Group
Note: remove underscores to get real email address Standard disclaimers apply -- all posts are personal opinion Received on Mon Sep 21 1998 - 19:19:12 CDT