Re: Running 'export' silently

From: Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 07:05:03 GMT

On Sun, 13 Sep 1998 19:34:40 -0700, Frank Ober <xxxx_at_verio.com> wrote:

>I have looked at the documentation for export as part of 7.3.4.1 and
>cannot seem to find a way to run export silently (from a shell script
>that runs via cron) on Solaris 2.6.
>I have been stumped for several tries on what seems to be a simple
>thing. I have tried the standard out and error redirect to /dev/null and
>standard things like that but the exp still forces output to the
>terminal.
>
>Any ideas?

Are you sure you tried redirecting *standard error* (not standard output) to a file or null device? I'm sure I've used this in the past to prevent cron-ed exports to mail me the log of each export job.

I'm not on unix any more but on NT it's the same thing (export is feeding the messages to standard error, not to standard output!).

>Thanks in advance.
>----
>Frank Ober

HTH,
--
Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Certified Oracle7 DBA (OCP)

The above opinions are mine and do not represent any official standpoints of my employer Received on Tue Sep 15 1998 - 02:05:03 CDT