Re: Using netware/ids to login to Oracle

From: Daniel <nospam_at_nospam.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 1998 00:46:05 +0100

Guys,

And even cooler still is the ability to resolve the connect decriptor from the
NDS instance object. This is called NDS Native Naming. When the listener starts up the lsnr information is updated and stored in the NDS instance object.
When a client connection is made we make a call to NDS to find out the correct
connect decriptor and hey presto we connect. The syntax for the connect is then like this;

connect /@.orcl.sales.acme

where .orcl.sales.acme is the fully qualified object id of the NDS instance object.

or;

connect /@orcl

will also work, or if you set LOCAL=ORCL you can connect using;

connect /

this is quick and also negates the use of a tnsnames.ora file on all your clients
this means less for you to administer.

Also should you wish to you can point the NDS object at a different instance on a different physical server on the fly! Users never know.

To make this work have the following lines in the sqlnet.ora on the server and
the client;

NATIVE_NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH = (TNSNAMES, NOVELL) SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES = (NDS) More info at;

http://www.oracle.com/platforms/novell/

Specific NDS demos at;

http://www.oracle.com/platforms/novell/demos.html

Cheers,

Daniel.

Oracle UK Received on Fri Sep 04 1998 - 18:46:05 CDT