Update on one specific record crashes Oracle Server

From: Häberli Peter Paul <peter.haeberli_at_buwal.admin.ch>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 10:01:57 +0200

We have a strange problem with updates on one specific record of a table on one of our Oracle Servers (Ora 7.1, OpenVMS 6.1 for DEC Alpha).

The table X has 25 columns (a mix of number, date, varchar2 -> up to 2000 chars), a single primary key with three foreign keys from other tables looking on it.

Table X has only 255 records. If we try to update one of the fields on the record with the ID-value 160, the processor load on the Server jumps to almost 100% and everybody else working on it has to wait and wait and ... The database is still working, but for a simple select, which is normally done within a few millisecs you've to wait a minute or two. Killing the oracle
session from the srvmgr doesn't help. The only solution ist killing the TNS-process for this session from the VMS-prompt.

The strange thing is: If we try to update one of the other 254 records, there's no problem! And "Select * from X where id=160" isn't a problem either.

The systemmanager can't find a hardware error on the disk and even shuting down the database and rebooting the server didn't help.

The application using this table is built with Access 2.0 as client and ODBC-linked tables for the queries, but the error can also be reproduced updating the table with SQL*Plus.

In the alert-log and trace-files we found the following error messages which are repeated about every 15 secs as long as the updating-session isn't killed:

*******Trace-File

1-SEP-1998 11:24:22.29:
SMON: following errors trapped and ignored: ORA-01575: timeout waiting for space management resource

The ServerMessages-Handbook tells us to wait a few minutes and then retry the operation...

Does anybody know what could be wrong here? We don't know how to handle this error and it is quite frightening!

Every tip is appreciated very much, please send an email to:

peter.haeberli_at_buwal.admin.ch Received on Wed Sep 02 1998 - 03:01:57 CDT