Re: Update on one specific record crashes Oracle Server

From: Häberli Peter Paul <peter.haeberli_at_buwal.admin.ch>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 08:33:12 +0200

>The table X has 25 columns (a mix of number, date, varchar2 -> up to 2000
>chars), a single primary key with three foreign keys from other tables
>looking on it.

>Table X has only 255 records. If we try to update one of the fields on the
>record with the ID-value 160, the processor load on the Server jumps to
>almost 100% and everybody else working on it has to wait and wait and ...

We solved our problem yesterday evening by deleting this buggy record and reinserting it again. May be the reason for our problem were wrong storage parameters for the table (pctfree=10 instead of 30 or more). There are 4 columns with varchar2(2000) and not every record has these columns filled on insert, but can be filled later by an update statement. Now, I think the space management error ocurred because of block chaining during the update, which didn't work with this one record as it should normally. Today I will reorganize the table with more pctfree and I hope with that the ORA-01575 is gone forever.

Thanks for your tips!

Peter