Re: auto-start Oracle8 on NT

From: Janice Whitney <noitall_at_ici.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 14:16:13 -0400

Had a similar problem, though it may not be exactly like yours. I was and am using a password file, so if you're not, it might not be relevant in your situation. Also, I never explicitly created the password file, just used the one that was automatically created for me when I set the database up. Also, my database was created from scratch, rather than evolved from the sample database (that you can automatically install when you install Oracle8).

Anyway, that being said, look in Orant\Rdbms80\Oradim80.log and see if you have any error messages about a service not starting. There is a command file in your Orant\Database directory called strtsid.cmd (substitute your sid for the "sid" in the name). Try running this command file directly from an MS Dos session on your server. You may get more explicit error messages.

What I got was a failure to execute the command because my password was incorrect. I used the password for the internal user that I had set up when I first created my database service, but for some reason, it was no longer valid.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I resolved the problem by creating a new, larger password file for my application. Haven't had any problems starting my instances up automatically since that time. HTH.