Loopback in Create Database Link

From: <atran_at_ers.state.tx.us>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 18:24:44 GMT

All, I did a database copy from instance (test) to another instance (dev) using the copy of the control trace file created from command

          alter database backup controlfile to trace;

in test instance. I edited the script to change all the references from test to dev, copy the data file and create the new instance (dev) from the script.  Everything works fine until i try to create a database link from dev to test. I created the database link in dev as

          create database link test.world using 'test.world';

and got the following error:

ERROR at line 1:
ORA-02082: a loopback database link must have a connection qualifier

For some reason it thinks I am still in test and I am creating a database link itself. However if I create a link with a connection qualifier, then it would work fine as in: create database link test.world_at_inst1 using 'test.world'; the link is then created and I can refer to the test instance as select * from table_a_at_test@inst1;

Does anyone know why this is so? does it have anything to do with the way I clone dev from test? Or is it a totally different problem? Thanks much for your response, and if possible, please cc: an email copy to me.

Amy