Re: Oracle too Expensive ??? Help !!

From: John Wilson <jwilson_at_napanet.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 11:05:50 -0700

Michael,

First, I don't work for Oracle Corporation, any subsidiary, etc.

Having used Oracle since the early 80s (v2/v3), I can only say that you really get what you pay for. Oracle is the best product in terms of reliability, portability, scalability, "etc, etc, and so forth."

There are a lot of considerations in their prices.

The platform is a major consideration in their pricing. What is your project using? Can the project be run on different platforms? Do you really need 15 concurrent users? Get in the Oracle rep's face (if possible) and let them know that you like to use Oracle, but...... How bare bones is the 20K package? Is it still usable? Also look at their web site in the Oracle store. Sometimes they have prices listed there that are better than the reps quotes (did his include service? what level?)

Also, ask your bosses how valuable their corporate data is. Think of this as an investment and not just an expense.

Also, there are other, less expensive databases available for some platforms. Use the net to search. BUT only as a last resort.

john