Re: Oracle too Expensive ??? Help !!

From: Cleve Sharpe <cleve_at_cbcsf.org>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 19:30:32 GMT

>Michael A Dustin wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Our company recently checked on the price of Oracle (for
>> Solaris 2.6) and all the trimmings. For a 15 user (office) license and
>> web license it came to over 100 grand. After we balked
>> Oracle came back and offered the bare bones for about
>> 20 grand. I feel kinda bad because I got my boss all excited
>> about Oracle and now the whole project has almost halted.

I haven't used many other databases but the good ones that are available for Solaris include Oracle, Informix and Sybase (I believe). MS SQL-Server, which is probably cheaper (per concurrent user) than all the above databases, is only available for NT.

Oracle database products are good products though their web products leave a little to be desired. However, you do have many options when ordering Oracle Server products (Workgroup and Enterprise)... The Enterprise Server, the more expensive of the two, has different options (Parallel Query, etc.) Obviously, the more options you include with your Enterprise version, the more you will pay.

Workgroup Server, on the other hand, is the low-end version of the database server that can support your 15 user requirement with ease assuming that you are running it on a decent machine with lots (128M or more) of memory and don't need all the spiffy things that Enterprise Server affords. According to Oracle reps, it will support 100 users also with ease. Last check, Workgroup Server for 15 users was fairly reasonable (i.e., it cost MUCH less any of the prices you were quoted).

I'd try again.

Cleve Sharpe
Community Blood Centers of South Florida

Community Blood Centers of South Florida is not responsible for any statements made by me in this or any e-mail. Received on Fri Aug 21 1998 - 14:30:32 CDT