Re: Installations on SUN Solaris 2.6 OS

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.org>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 00:06:27 GMT

On Sun, 16 Aug 1998 23:38:48 GMT, dwbeauregard_at_hotmail.com <dwbeauregard_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I'm trying to install database objects for an Oracle 7.3.4.0.1 Enterprise
>server on my SUN Ultra10 box running Solaris 2.6. I have, in the past,
>installed this server on a SUN SPARC station running 2.5. OS. When I try to
>install and create a nearly identical database on the Ultra10, the installer
>fails to create database objects. The crdb<sid>.lst spool file from the
>output the attempted execution of the crdb<sid>.sql script lists the
>following errors: ORA-07331: smsnsg: unable to allocate the variable portion
>of the SGA Additional information: 4 create database "orac" * ORA-01034:
>ORACLE not available Disconnected.

The usual problem is an improperly exported $ORACLE_HOME. Beyond that, kernel tuning problems or forgetting to start the db. Then, forgotten Sun patches (see 105181-06) or ISM problem (you may have to set USE_ISM=false in init.ora). Then, leftover crud from previous messed up installs (check ipcs to be sure you haven't used up all shared memory). See the white papers on MetaLink for more info on shared memory and semaphores.

I've given up on installing and creating at the same time. I just create with scripts.

>Any ideas? I've tried installing new product software only, and running a
>second installer session to create database objects. The same errors were
>found. Could this be a SUN Solaris 2.6 compatibility problem?
>
>Daryl Beauregard
>GIS Technician and DBA
>B.C. Forest Service Smithers.
>Canada

jg
--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest or Pebble In The Sky http://www.informationquest.com mailto:jgarry@nospameiq.com http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/joel_garry Remove nospam to reply. mailto:joel_garry_at_compuserve.nospam.com "See your DBA?" I AM the @#%*& DBA! Received on Mon Aug 17 1998 - 19:06:27 CDT