Re: UPGRADE FROM ORACLE7 TO ORACLE8

From: Mark Friedlander <marcos_at_nycap.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 18:55:05 -0400

D S Tharpe wrote in message <35D84B98.41C67EA6_at_ornl.gov>...
>I'm wanting to upgrade to ORACLE8 from ORACLE7. Does anyone
>know of any good web sites to find information about doing
>this or know of any 'gotchas' that may get me when I do this
>process?

I came across the following exchange that may interest you

Rick Kopitzke wrote in message <6r2ga3$boq$1_at_nntp.quiknet.com>...
>I'm new to Oracle 8 so pardon the ignorance.
>
>I've installed Oracle 8.0.3 on Windows NT 4.0 Server. I haven't done
>anything special, just the standard Typical installation. After installing
>the
>server responsiveness went down the tubes. The task manager is showing
>the DBSNMP.EXE process is chewing up 98+% of the CPU.
>
>Anyone have any ideas?
>
>Thanks,
>Rick
>rkopitzke_at_dsaconsulting.com

Email: davesisk_at_ipass.net
Date: 1998/08/15
Forums: comp.databases.oracle.server

No such thing as "ignorance". Everyone's done something for the first time. Yup. Uninstall either the Oracle Agent Service (which runs the DBSNMP.EXE, used with Oracle Enterprise Manager)
OR
uninstall the Oracle Performance Utility (this provides objects and counters that you can view from the NT performance monitor). There is a logged bug for Oracle8 on NT stating that the two components will not both work together on the same NT box. This is allegedly fixed in the upcoming 8.0.5 release, and it might be fixed in the 8.0.4.2.4 patch release that is available now (check with Oracle Support on this one). To uninstall the performance utility, you have to shut down the instance, set all Oracle services to manual, reboot, use regedit to remove all references to the oraperf8.dll (ora8perf.dll? something like that) from the windows registry, then reboot again, then run the Oracle installer and uninstall the Oracle Performance Utility. The NT kernel loads the oraperf8.dll on boot-up, so it's locked and you can't uninstall it without removing the registry entries that make it behave this way first. Good luck,
Dave Received on Mon Aug 17 1998 - 17:55:05 CDT