PCTFREE Vs PCTUSED

From: Zhenming Wang <zmwang_at_thenew.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 16:02:11 -0700

I have a confusion about the two PCTFREE and PCTUSED parameters. For example, when the PCTFREE is set 20, and the PCTUSED is set 50, according to their definitions, I can insert rows unitil the block is 80% full because the remaining 20% is kept for updating for the rows in the block. Following I did some upgrading, which consumed some storage, let's say now the block is 90% full. I know I can't insert any rows at this level, so I deleated some rows, now the rows in the block take 30% of the block's total capacity. So according to the PCTUSED definition(below PCTUSED 50), I can insert new rows into the block. My question is: After I inserted some rows and did some upgrading, the block is now 70%. At this level, Can I continue to insert new rows into the block until it reaches 80%? It seems I can, because the block has not reached the 80%. But According to the PCDUSED, you cannot. You have to wait until you do some deleating rows until the block is below the PCTUSED 50. Because if I can insert new rows at a level higher than PCTUSED but below the 80% full, why I need the PCTUSED value? At this point, the two parameters seem contradict, as one say you can insert your rows until you reach 80%, another say you can't, because you are not below 50% you set for the PCTUSED.
Zhenming

zmwang_at_thenew.net Received on Mon Aug 10 1998 - 18:02:11 CDT