Re: NT Oracle database with RAID-5 hardware controller - Is it good?

From: Jens Peter Nielsen <lagermand_at_lagermand.dk>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 07:46:02 +0200

fantail2 wrote:

> I just heard that if you install an Oracle database on a COMPAQ ProLiant
> with a RAID-5 disk controller, the performance of the database is greatly
> reduced.
>
> Can someone can explain to me why?
>
> Thanks!

 Years back I did some performance testing with Oracle 6 on OS/2 with RAID-5.

I found what reading was faster and writing was slower as disks witnout RAID.

It has to do with the fact that reading can be one from any of two disk with redundant data and writing has to be done on two disk.

Venlig hilsen/Regards
Jens Peter Nielsen

lagermand.dk
web : www.lagermand.dk