Re: NT Oracle database with RAID-5 hardware controller - Is it good?

From: bubba <brittonb_at_webt.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 08:54:58 -0400

That really doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

We have an oracle 8 server(hp) using raid 5(adaptec aaa-131, 3 4.5g drives with spare.)

Performance is very good.
With RAID 5 at the hardware level, information is READ, the hard ware controller will spin all of your RAID 5 drives to retrieve this information. This is like having 3 drives work in conjunction to retrieve each a piece of the information you ened from your oracle database. Since much of doing database work is running queries, performance can be very good. However, contrast that with WRITEing to the database. The HW controller has to split the information up, create a check sum, and split that information across the drives. This can be a bit slower in writing.

So, in layman's terms:

READING: Fast
Writing: A little slower.

But don't forget one of the primary purposes of RAID 5: Fault tolerance. if one of the drives fail, your still up and running. And if you have a hot spare, it will automatically bring it on line in the event of a bad drive.