Oracle 7 Data File Storage - Newbie Question

From: Bernadette Pinto <b.pinto_at_zetnet.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 13:44:05 +0100

In a multi-user environment where, say, three users are accessing the same database tables, where is the data file(s) on which the data is stored?

Also, if each user asks for the rowid of a row from one specific table, will each user get the same rowid returned? (I mean, will the rowid for the user's database instance or the server's database be returned).

The two questions above lead me to asking this third question:

How is an Oracle database stored? I have assumed that in a multi-user environment the database was stored on the server. I also assumed that each client PC had an 'instance' of the database (I.e., a snapshot of the server's database stored locally). If this is so, is it possible to return information regarding the physical location of the local database instance (can't think why you would want to, but am curious).

Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions.

Best wishes

Bernadette Received on Fri Jul 24 1998 - 07:44:05 CDT