Re: Who likes Solid-State disks?

From: MotoX <rat_at_tat.a-tat.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 09:13:11 +0100

I've only ever heard from a couple of people who used them, and they really liked them.

Problem is, they are soooo expensive for decent capacity. I think you'd find - for the same cost - much more memory, more disk adapters, more/better hard disks and more striping would give you almost the same performance... And you end up with a much better system overall.

Maybe if you had something extremely I/O intensive and/or 'near real-time' - but you still wanted to use an RDBMS - then they might be your only option.

Still, that's my take. It'll be interesting to see what someone who is using the stuff thinks?..

MotoX.