Re: SHMMAX parameter

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 23:34:08 GMT

On Fri, 12 Jun 1998 07:24:20 -0400, Lisa Lewis <lewis_at_med.pitt.edu> wrote:
>Can someone give me some guidelines on what the SHMMAX parameter should be
>set to. The install guide for Sun Solaris 2.x says that SHMMAX should be
>set to 33,554,432 or higher than the max SGA size. What about the other
>shared memory parameters. Can someone shed some light on these parameters.
>Thanks in advance!

If you have metalink access, see
 Prob# 1011658.6 SHARED MEMORY REQUIREMENTS ON UNIX

I thought the install guide "Configure Kernel Parameters for Shared Memory" section was pretty clear. You might have a different one.

Just follow the example (mine's on p. 3-4), and modify it if you need to (ie, if you have multiple instances).

SHMMNI is the number of semaphore sets at any one time. SEMMNS is the number of semaphores.
SHMMNI is the number of shared memory identifiers. SEMMSL is the max number of semaphores in one set (should set equal to max Oracle processes).

--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest

or Pebble In The Sky                     http://www.informationquest.com

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/joel_garry jgarry@nospameiq.com
"See your DBA?"  I AM the @#%*& DBA!     Remove nospam to reply.  Sorry.