Re: Oracle Performance on RAID 5

From: Robert Hart <rhart_at_gov.edmonton.ab.ca>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 08:02:01 -0600

Alexey M. Reshetov wrote in message <6m4lc6$jl0$1_at_home.kpbank.ru>...

>Try to increase cache size of your RAID controller or change
>cache politics.

Your Cache size is limited by your Controller Hardware.

I think I may not have explained myself well enough. I am not having any performance problems. I have also been using RAID5 for years and have experienced no problems to speak of.

My purpose in posing this as a topic is just for discussion purposes. I have allways thought ( and been told by Oracle ) that RAID5 is slower for writes and faster on reads then a non RAID system.

Now I have a vendor who is claiming that Oracle performance is slower for reads and writes then a non RAID system by close to an order of magnitude.

I find this VERY hard to believe and I think it was a problem with there configuration or hardware. This vendor has claimed that there are some studies that support this position and I wanted to start a discussion on this.

Has anyone heard of any studies on Oracle performance in a RAID5 environment and if so what were the results?

l8r
Rob

p.s. Thx for all the responses to my original post ( especially Dave Singh for the VLDB paper which I will actually read after my next meeting or as soon as my users will leave me alone.)