Re: Oracle Performance on RAID 5

From: Alexey M. Reshetov <real_at_kpbank.ru>
Date: 16 Jun 1998 02:30:30 GMT

Robert Hart (rhart_at_gov.edmonton.ab.ca) wrote:
: Hi all

: I've been using Oracle on RAID 5 for many years
: and I never really paid any attention to the performance
: of Oracle on RAID5 as compared to non-RAID.

: I was told by Oracle ( many years ago ) that RAID5
: would give me better read performance but I would
: suffer a hit on writes.

: I took this in stride because RAID5 gave me other
: benefits. But I am wondering now.

: Recently a Vendor of some systems we use indicated
: that Oracle Performance on RAID5 hardware is poor
: for read and write compared to non-RAID. They stated
: that there have been some performance studies that
: support this statement.

: Can anyone support this statement? I find it hard
: to believe and thought it might be the configuration
: of there system.

: l8r
: Rob

Try to increase cache size of your RAID controller or change cache politics.

Alexey Reshetov
real_at_kpbank.ru Received on Mon Jun 15 1998 - 21:30:30 CDT