Re: move 4 instaces from one server to another

From: Matt Southcott <matts_at_xxxnifcosynergy.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 22:39:18 GMT

I have just finished moving 2 databases to a new server and will try to give you a hand. Some of this may sound stupid but its worth it. 1. Install Oracle on the new server without creating database objects.
2. In each of your old instances backup the control file to trace and then look at it if any of the paths are going to be changed then edit the file and save it do this for each instance. 3. Shutdown each of the old instances and back them up makesure you include the control files and the log files and the datafiles and the initora file.
4. If all the paths and file names are going to be exact you should be able to copy the whole file structure to the new machine and just restart the database. If you have had to edit the backed up control file scripts from step 2 then you will have to copy the file structure to the new server and match the new file pathnames on the server with the control file script. Then invoke svrmgrl and connect internal make sure you are using the right SID no point in destroying a good database because of mistake that simple(been there done that). Now execute the control file script. I always get some path wrong when doing this but it is not hard to correct. If you do have a problem shutdown the database fix the problem and run the script again. I did find that near the end of the control file script where it says "recover database;" I commented this out and then manually reset the logs and this worked better for me. But I also was changing from an archivelog mode to no archive log and changing alot paths since my servers are not similar at all.

Hope that helps. You could always export full and import full but that usually takes wayyyyyyyy toooooo much time.