Re: num of blocks containing table data

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 10:50:26 GMT

Jurij Modic <jurij.modic_at_mf.sigov.mail.si> wrote in article <357e4901.6622064_at_www.sigov.si>...

> Also the DBMS_SPACE.UNUSED_SPACE procedure (as sugested by Jonathan
> Lewis) doesn't help here, because its out parameter TOTAL_BLOCKS
> returns the number of blocks *allocated* for the segment, not the
> number of blocks containing data. The parameter EMPTY_BLOCKS
returns
> the same information as USER_TABLES.EMPTY_BLOCKS.
>
> So my question is: does anyone know of a method to determine the
> number of table blocks that actualy contain data, taking into
acount
> also the chained and migrated rows?

Why do you want this figure though, since it doesn't appear to be a meaningful number. For instance, if you want the number which is: 'the minimum number of blocks which I could recreate the table in' then look at:

        (average row size + row overhead) x row count.

Jonathan Lewis Received on Fri Jun 12 1998 - 05:50:26 CDT