Re: num of blocks containing table data

From: Jurij Modic <jurij.modic_at_mf.sigov.mail.si>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 22:01:46 GMT

On Fri, 12 Jun 1998 10:50:26 GMT, "Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Why do you want this figure though, since it doesn't appear to be a
>meaningful number. For instance, if you want the number which is:
>'the minimum number of blocks which I could recreate the table in'
>then look at:
> (average row size + row overhead) x row count.

To me it doesn't appear to be totaly meaningless number. For example, if you want to monitor how table's blocks are filled during the life of application to verify the correctness of the PCTFREE/PCTUSED settings, you could compare the numbers from your formula, from HWM and from the occupied block count to decide if it is rational to rebuild your table (perhaps with different storage parameters).

Of course, I can estimate (probably with acceptable accuracy) the number of occupied blocks, but I was simply surprised to find out that there seems to be no method to exactly determine this number in all circumstances. At all the various statistics that Oracle is offering it realy surprises me that I can not determine such a basic data.

But to be honest, it is realy only my curiosity.

>Jonathan Lewis

Regards,

Jurij Modic                             Republic of Slovenia
jurij.modic_at_mf.sigov.mail.si		Ministry of Finance
The above opinions are mine and do not represent any official standpoints of my employer Received on Sat Jun 13 1998 - 17:01:46 CDT