Re: Alpha server

From: Roger Loeb <rloeb_at_martech.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 18:18:45 -0600

Well, I couldn't recommend such a configuration because of absurd Oracle licensing procedures. You need a user license for EACH processor. On Enterprise Server the license fee is $1,495 per user per processor, minimum 8 users per processor. So, a 14 processor Alpha STARTS with Oracle licensing of $167,440 (8x14x$1,495). I suspect that even the sales people don't fully understand this, because I am told that such a configuration is still an 8-user license, which is absurd. I read it as a 112-user license. Of course, if you don't have that many users, then this is rather costly. I have basically 4 really heavy users on a multi-processor Alpha, and the licensing costs are convincing me to take a better look at SQLServer 7.

Rog