Re: Alpha server

From: JRStern <JRStern_at_primalsys.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 18:47:46 GMT

On Mon, 1 Jun 1998 18:18:45 -0600, "Roger Loeb" <rloeb_at_martech.com> wrote:
>Well, I couldn't recommend such a configuration because of absurd Oracle
>licensing procedures. You need a user license for EACH processor. On
>Enterprise Server the license fee is $1,495 per user per processor, minimum
>8 users per processor. So, a 14 processor Alpha STARTS with Oracle
>licensing of $167,440 (8x14x$1,495).

Thanks for the heads-up on licensing.

What I have in mind is spreading our load across multiple boxes that do replication in the background, just in case. With each box multiprocessor, I see I can anticipate many happy discussions about the licensing issues. We are talking thousands of simultaneous but fairly light users. I think it's obvious what kind of terms would be reasonable.

Perhaps too optimistically, I concerned right now just with the performance issues.

Joshua Stern
JRStern_at_primalsys.com Received on Tue Jun 02 1998 - 13:47:46 CDT