Oracle 8.x/Solaris Swap Space Configuration

From: Scott Cairns <sdcairns_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 11:47:09 -0400

My firm just took delivery on two Sun 4000 servers, one with 512mb RAM and one with 1gb RAM. I'm playing sys admin for the time being (I have 10 years of Sun experience but largely as a developer).

We are going to be running Oracle 8 on both of these boxes.

My question is what is the recommendation for swap space configuration under Solaris 2.6? The old rule of thumb used to be 2x your RAM size but I've heard from someone who's opinion I trust that this is no longer the case under Solaris and that a 20% factor is more reasonable.

Opinions?

Thanks in advance... Received on Mon Jun 01 1998 - 10:47:09 CDT