Re: Oracle 8.x/Solaris Swap Space Configuration

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.org>
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 1998 00:59:01 GMT

On Mon, 1 Jun 1998 11:47:09 -0400, Scott Cairns <sdcairns_at_mindspring.com> wrote:
>My firm just took delivery on two Sun 4000 servers, one with 512mb RAM and
>one with 1gb RAM. I'm playing sys admin for the time being (I have 10 years
>of Sun experience but largely as a developer).
>
>We are going to be running Oracle 8 on both of these boxes.
>
>My question is what is the recommendation for swap space configuration under
>Solaris 2.6? The old rule of thumb used to be 2x your RAM size but I've
>heard from someone who's opinion I trust that this is no longer the case
>under Solaris and that a 20% factor is more reasonable.
>
>Opinions?

I agree, although Oracle still says 2-4X in the install manual. Use what you want, if Oracle runs out during relinking make it larger.

I'm using 1% of 2G swap for .5G mem in normal running if that helps. That's with half real mem for SGA. I have seen nearly all swap get used up under unusual situations.

--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest

or Pebble In The Sky                     http://www.informationquest.com

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/joel_garry jgarry@nospameiq.com
"See your DBA?"  I AM the @#%*& DBA!     Remove nospam to reply.  Sorry.