Re: What is the market for Oracle 8.

From: TurkBear <johng_at_mm.com>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 14:25:03 GMT

tichvo_at_my-dejanews.com wrote:

>I heard a lot about Oracle8 but I did not know how Oracle8 is gaining its
>market share comparing to Oracle 7.x. Should I stay with Oracle7.x or start
>to switch to Oracle8? If someone can answer this please let me know. Thanks
>Tich

>http://www.dejanews.com/ Now offering spam-free web-based newsreading

As with most upgrades, a lot depends on what you want to do....

Oracle 8 can be used as a update to 7.x and it will be essentially invisible to your users....There is no need to use any of its new features - so upgrading, in this context, should be routine...Oracle probably will not update any more Oracle 7.x setups ( no new patchsets, etc) so eventually you will want to go to 8 just to keep current.

Oracle8 has so many new capacities and features that it, in my opinion, represents a paradigm shift in RDBMS design and utility...The new data types, the use of object references and pointers, and many other changes, make it possible ( altho not necessarily desirable ) to redesign your entire data model in ways that are not limited to standard 'normalized' data models.

Note: This is a theoretical discussion since Oracle8 is too new, on my platform - Netware, to have checked the actual actions of 8 in a 'real world' environment.

John Greco
Oracle DBA
Email to john.greco_at_dot.state.mn.us Received on Thu May 28 1998 - 09:25:03 CDT