Executables linked with libclntsh.a abort

From: <tgp_at_mci2000.com>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 14:42:07 GMT

I have just upgraded from 7.2.3 to 7.3.4.1. The RDBMS is working just fine, but I'm having trouble with my Peoplesoft application connecting to it. The Peoplesoft documentation says I "must" generate the Oracle Shared Library, libclntsh.a, and relink the Peoplesoft products to use it.

I did as they said, and the program aborts with a signal 11 "attempted to access memory out of bounds". It is a MicroFocus Cobol program, if it matters. After fooling around with this for an afternoon, and recreating the shared lib, I gave up, and just linked with another list of about 15 Oracle libraries. It works fine!

Can someone point me to what might be the problem? I don't know a lot about shared libraries, but I would expect identical behavior of program when linked with shared and non-shared libs. The memory requirements would be different, but the functionality shouldn't change. Should it?

Can I have done something wrong? I did install a couple of AIX patches after installing 7.3.4. If I install an AIX patch, is there ever a need to recreate Oracle library files? In any case, I did find a make file called .../rdbms/lib/clntsh.mk which appears to rebuild this library, and ran it to an apparently successful completion.

Any guidance would be appreciated.