Re: HELP! Can connect locally through IPC, but not through TCP/IP

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.org>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 17:42:19 GMT

On Tue, 19 May 1998 20:45:44 GMT, Dave Snyder <dsnyder_at_netgenics.com> wrote:
>Hi everyone,
>
> I recently set up a second oracle instance on a solaris 2.5 box
>running oracle 7.3.3... I can connect to both instances through server
>manager as well as sqlplus. In addition, I can connect to instance A
>(this was an instance set up on this machine by a consultant and has
>worked all along ) from remote machines using sqlplus. I cannot,
>however, connect to instance B (the instance I set up) remotely or using
>the TCP/IP loopback (i.e. sqlplus user/passwd_at_sid ) When I try, I get
>the following error:
>
>ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
>ORA-07429: smsgsg: shmget() failed to get segment.
>SVR4 Error: 2: No such file or directory
>
>I know this will happen when the instance is not running, but I am
>positive it is, as I can connect using svrmgrl. Since I know very
>little about the listener.ora and sql*net setup, I have included the
>pertinent files in this post. If anyone has any ideas, I would really
>appreciate hearing them...

Perhaps you've set ORACLE_HOME wrong?

--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest

or Pebble In The Sky                     http://www.informationquest.com

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/joel_garry jgarry@nospameiq.com
"See your DBA?"  I AM the @#%*& DBA!     Remove nospam to reply.  Sorry.