Re: Lost system datafile

From: TurkBear <johng_at_mm.com>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 17:40:41 GMT

leung_at_chime.org wrote:

>I have a database (I recently inherited) that just lost one of its datafiles
>(which is the one that system tablespace used)due to a hard disk crash. The
>database was running in Non-archive mode and no one has ever made any
>back-up. Is there any way that I can recover the data stored in other
>datafiles??
>
>Thanks!!
>
>Steve Leung

>http://www.dejanews.com/ Now offering spam-free web-based newsreading

Probably you're out of luck...the system tablespace is the 'controlling' tablespace for the database...without it, Oracle has no way to startup --- no start, no access to data---

A company like ON TRACK may be able to retrieve the data on the dead disk, but short of that, I think its impossible to correct.

Sorry. and I hope some other responder will show I'm too pessimistic,

John Greco
Oracle DBA Received on Wed May 20 1998 - 12:40:41 CDT