faulty system index creation algorithm?

From: Doug <dcowles_at_i84.net>
Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 00:44:16 GMT

I was recently analyzing some tables to check if they have been growing as projected several months ago, and discovered that the only objects who had exceeded the initial extent that I had provided for them were the indexes on the primary key values. These indexes I would guess are sized and estimated by Oracle itself and probably based on the datatype chosen for the primary key. I cannot drop and re-create these indexes, so my question is this - Does Oracle size primary key indexes incorrectly? In one case I had 25 extents after I consider to be very minimal table growth. This is not a serious problem in anyone's view at my site, these tables are in fact very small - the entire set in the schema is less than 1MB - but I was surprised. Any thoughts?

Just curious -

Thanks,
Dc. Received on Sat May 16 1998 - 19:44:16 CDT