Still have not got "HOST.PORT.SID"

From: Huaping Luo <huaping_at_pollux.cs.uga.edu>
Date: 13 May 1998 02:30:11 GMT

Thank all of you who has responded my request. Unfortuanately, I have not solved my problem.

My situation: I am writing a program in JAVA. In this program I need to connect to my Oracle database through JDBC thin driver (v7.34 design by Oracle). My Oracle resides in UNIX. I have to put "HOST.PORT.SID" into the connection statement.

So far as suggested by respondents, I failed to find the file "tnsnames.ora" or "sqlnet.ora". I isssued the command "find . -name tnsnames(sqlnet).ora -print". the search returned nothing, except showing a list of dirctories not readable.

Does each Oracle server has a port number? What is the port number of the default port?

What is the easiest way to connect to an Oracle database?

any help or hint will be appreciated.

                                        Huaping Luo