Ignoring Case in String Searches

From: Steve Emmons <semmons_at_net.bluemoon.net>
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 02:50:19 GMT

We are creating a powerbuilder application that has string searching functionality. i.e. looking up a company or person in an address book. The problem we have is that we are trying to make a database independent application and therefore don't want to use the Upper() function in the SQL statement since the SQLAnywhere (SQLAnywhere is not case sensitive)database doesn't understand this function. Also using the Upper function seems to eliminate the use of the Index on the name column.

Is there a way that we can make the database case insensitive. We where told by Oracle Support that this could not be done so our thought was to make another name column that was in all uppercase and we could use that to do the searching.

Any other/better ideas?

We are running 7.3.4 on NT 4.0

Thanks

Steve Received on Tue May 12 1998 - 21:50:19 CDT