Re: Using one development instance for multiple applications

From: Doug Carter <dcarter_at_tui.com.au>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 15:40:57 +1000

Marc,

What a mine field you could create doing something like this. It all depends on what each development area is used for and if any of them use external applications. The obvious issues might include group 1 wanting the database upgraded to version b (for an application upgrade) while group 4 needs the database left at the current version. Consider group 8 who needs the database rebooted to effect a parameter change - but groups 1-7 refuse to have their work interrupted during business hours.

I have had experiences with different SAP development groups on the same machine - (not even the same instance) - and often came across issues of needing to reboot the machine for one group while the other refused to be inconvenienced by it (adding disk etc). I've also had a couple of PeopleSoft databases on the one machine sharing Oracle Software - and had issues with one needing to upgrade the operating system and oracle version to effect an upgrade (financial) while the another group (HR) said they did not want it. Even worse - one group regular ran large reports that slowed the other group down dramatically.

Simply put, this decision should never be made based on the bottom line alone. The partitioning of systems should be based on use and autonomy requirements.

Regards

Doug Carter
Database Administrator
TUI Consulting