Using one development instance for multiple applications

From: Marc van Maanen <mvmaanen_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Mon, 04 May 1998 23:28:19 +0200

Hi,

we are planning to buy and install a new server for development/test purposes (RS/6000 F50 AIX ). The intention is to replace 4 old uni-processor systems with all their instances (about 20) and create just one instance on the new server, with all the schemas from the old servers in this database.
This has (we think) a number of advantages like reduced costs of maintenance (one maintenance contract instead of four), easier administration of SQLnet, users, oracle versions etc.

Given the fact that this is meant for DEVELOPMENT (not PRODUCTION) and application development is for the major part client/server (Powerbuilder, Designer/Developer 2000 ) I have the following questions:
- Is this advisable (and if not: howcome ?)

Any suggestions or comments are highly appreciated,

Marc Received on Mon May 04 1998 - 16:28:19 CDT